- Domestic abuse effects 1 in 4 women at some point in their lives, mothers, daughters, sisters, friends, colleagues, a neighbour, maybe you.
- Over 600 women die every year as a direct result of experiencing some form of abuse; 10 women a week take their own lives as a result of domestic abuse and 2 women a week are killed at the hands of a partner or former partner.
- On average women are assaulted 35 times before seeking help.
- Women aged 15-44 are more at risk from rape and domestic violence than from cancer, car accidents, war and malaria, according to World Bank data.
- At least 750,000 children a year witness domestic violence.
Domestic abuse impacts on families and communities, it can take many forms such as Physical, Financial, Sexual, Emotional and Psychological (to view the home office definition of domestic abuse click here). Our services provides women with a safe space to talk openly about the abuse they have experienced and to make informed decisions about the future for themselves and their children. One survivor told us how having a service to support her made a difference.
“I was referred into the counselling service at My Sisters Place, they have helped me so much, I want other women to realise there is a strong support network there to help them if they find the courage to come forward”.
Your donation will help us to…
- Make women and children safer
- Improve the health and well-being of women and their children
- Empower women to achieve social justice for themselves and their children.
Thank you for supporting My Sisters Place, by donating you have helped a small charity to make a BIG difference.