Video CounsellingSafety, Hope, Change
What is VIDEO OR WEBCAM counselling at My Sisters Place
Video or webcam counselling is delivered using Video or webcam and it is a video conferencing software that you download onto your phone or a computer which enables you see your counsellor face to face from a device whilst engaging in therapy and discussion and exploring difficulties you might be having. These sessions take place in a secure and encrypted environment which offers you confidentiality and safety.
This can feel more like traditional face to face counselling and will be arranged around times and days that are convenient for the session to take place. This is usually a time and day that fits with your schedule and can be made from a location you choose/prefer.
Benefits of Video or Webcam Counselling
- It can feel more convenient and easier way of talking to a counsellor as it fits more flexibly around other commitments, time pressures or other personal situations.
- Therapy can take place from our own home or from any safe location at a time that suits you.
- For some it feels easier not being seen going into a counselling service and worrying about seeing someone they know either in the service or someone seeing them going into the service.
- You are able to see your counsellor and be able to communicate in the same way as you would in a more familiar face to face session and can see facial expressions, body language etc.
- You may feel too anxious to go to new places but still want to access some counselling and it gives you an opportunity to see your counsellor face to face.
- You can still access counselling and access support if you have a physical condition that makes it difficult for you attend counselling at My Sisters Place.
- It can be more affordable – even though the services that we offer are free of charge video or webcam counselling can cut cost of travelling to and from sessions and video or webcam is free to download and use.
Disadvantages of Video or webcam Counselling
- As you are responsible for ensuring privacy at your end you will need a private and confidential space where you can talk in confidence, where you will not be overhead or where someone may walk in on your session. Sometimes if others are close by that may impact on what you share with the counsellor during the session as you may find that you are more distracted if there are other people, partners, children other family members around.
- You may feel uncomfortable seeing yourself on screen – however your counsellor will talk through options of making this easier and turning cameras on and off and minimising the screen to make it more comfortable.
- You may feel uncomfortable with your counsellor seeing inside your home or the place you are taking the video or webcam call.
- You may be distracted by the environment/backgrounds your counsellor is making the video or webcam call from and want to know more about what you can see – however your counsellor will always make sure that distractions during the call are minimised.
- There may be technological problems which can arise on a call. The call signal may be poor or there may be interference that may slow down or freeze the session or the signal may be lost completely and the session is unable to go ahead (although we would discuss options if this did happen)
- You may have to end the call suddenly if you are interrupted or you may not want someone to see your counsellor if you are suddenly disturbed.
Things to consider before deciding go ahead with a video or webcam counselling
As with all types of counselling/therapy each has its advantages and disadvantages. Click Things to consider for Video Counselling to help you decide if video or webcam counselling is the right choice for you.
If after considering the above you would like to progress with video counselling please either email, call or text to the following:
01642 256036 (direct line)
VIDEO COUNSELLING REQUEST to 07941 976087
The counselling team will then contact you directly to provide you with more information
As a BACP Accredited Service My Sisters Place Counselling and Therapeutic Services work within the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions
If you would like to make an enquiry about any of our services, have any questions please complete the contact form below and we will reply as soon as possible.
Alternatively, if you prefer to speak to us directly, please call us: